#483: How To Be Curious As An Entrepreneur with Calan Breckon
Why curiosity helps mitigate the fears that come along with entrepreneurship
Fear can be an excellent motivator in business, but it can also completely consume you -- if you let it. Unfortunately, all too many entrepreneurs fall victim to their own fears and as a result, become completely overwhelmed.
If you can relate to this, then read on, sweet friend, because my guest on today’s episode (and former student!), Calan Breckon, has a really beautiful approach to business – and that’s through curiosity, not fear.
Calan is a Business Coach & Consultant, writer, educator and podcast co-host of Gay Men Going Deeper.
His business is thriving -- but it hasn’t always been that way. In fact, it took a lot of curiosity, exploration, and a failed launch for Calan to land on a direction for his business that truly lit him up. But by staying curious and asking himself some really difficult questions, he was able to create the digital business of his dreams.
Today, Calan teaches clients all over the world profitable action steps for creating a successful online business while also building a solid mental foundation -- something that is incredibly important.
In this episode, Calan opens up about his own journey, and how being curious can help alleviate some of the fears that come along with entrepreneurship. You will also hear:
- Calan’s step-by-step exercise on how to identify your 3 core values
- How to create a business that is in alignment with your core values
- Why personal development is so important as an entrepreneur
- What it looks like to evolve as an entrepreneur (and why it’s okay to do so)
Plus, so much more. So if you’re ready to move from fear to curiosity, grab a pen and paper and get ready to identify your core values!
Here’s a glance at this episode...
- [12:47] Your business grows at the rate that you are personally growing. You can never outperform your self-image and what you believe about yourself.
- [16:09] Calan defaulted to the things he loved in his business. He loves tech and brought all of those aspects to their new business. His colleagues prefer doing the forward-facing stuff.
- [18:31] Through his journey of curiosity Calan discovered what really lights him up and that's getting on calls and helping people.
- [22:54] In every relationship communication is key. There needs to be an ability to have those difficult conversations and integrate your business with your core values.
- [28:39] Calan’s process for identifying your core values or the things that you feel are the most important in relation to how you live your life.
- [31:23] Get a pen and paper and identify the following: a time in your life when you were happiest both personally and professionally, a time in your life when you were the most proud personally and professionally, times when you felt the most fulfilled and satisfied.
- [33:02] Make a list of your top 10 core values and compare them to one another. Once you discover your top core values use them as guideposts for making decisions in your life.
- [41:10] It's also important to take a step back and analyze what is working and what's not working and why it may not be working.
Rate, Review, & Follow on Apple Podcasts
"I love Amy and Online Marketing Made Easy." <-- If that sounds like you, please consider rating and reviewing my show! This helps me support more people -- just like you -- move toward the online life and business that they desire. Click here, scroll to the bottom, tap to rate with five stars, and select “Write a Review.” Then be sure to let me know what you loved most about the episode!
Also, if you haven’t done so already, follow the podcast. I’m adding a bunch of bonus episodes to the feed and, if you’re not following, there’s a good chance you’ll miss out. Follow now!